Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Traders Profit Both Ways

The market moved from a high on the theoretical Dow of 10,138, and a run down to 9953. The bull/bear struggle continues. Trader MR wrote, of many trading yesterday, and summarized a perfect day trading slight moves:

> Profited both ways today.
>
> I bought the recommended put at 6.30 and a bigger buy at 5.80 yesterday - sold at 6.30 today via limit order. I don't like to be in the market for longer than a day or two under current conditions.
>
> I daytraded the call - buying at 3.90 and selling at 4.30 for a quick 10% in about 30 minutes.
>
> I bought a few Nov 103 calls on GLD early in the day, which are down for now - but I believe they'll be back. They have good volume and lots of open interest.
>
> On position sizing. I realized today that I need to keep my profit goals in perspective. If I trade in a manner that increases my active trading portfolio by 1% a week then that's a 50% return over a one year time period. I've already hit the 1.5 % mark for this week, so I could realistically sit out and wait for a few days for the "perfect" opportunity to place the next trade - for example, hitting DOW support at an S2 or S3 pivot point."

This is how to trade this market. Until bias clearly establishes, until upside continues, we are in a new "range" to hit new highs.

Today we'd like to lead with a recommendation we've been giving to our Blue Chip Option Subscribers first:

For traders wanting to invest in cash oriented positions we recommend a Gold hedge of 5 to 15% of a portfolio.

However, we have been recommending to Blue Chip traders that TIPS (U.S. Treasury Inflation Bonds ETF) are an excellent buy right now, we think yields will rise, and that TIPS are a safe investment against inflation that may hit us.

For traders in money markets moving some CASH to TIPS has good long term safety and potential.
_____________
Today I would like to ask a personal question. I want to understand you, and want to help you understand who you are within your emotions affects and effects your trading. So my question is:

What do you get out of trading?

Send your thoughts, your answers and I'll share some thinking with you. Consider this your homework assignment.

No comments: