Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Man Came to Me Years Ago...

If we are not happy, we must know why. Most people spend their lives doing what they do not want, and wonder why they are unhappy. The key psychological question I ask of clients is this: What do you want?

Most answer with "things" or possessions, a simplistic answer that breeds the "I want what I want when I want it" thinking, and leads to possessions, which really make no one happy.

A man came to me years ago and I asked this question. He was a 40 year highly successful engineer in industrial plastics, married, no kids. His wife worked. After months of therapy my "what do you want" question led to a "real answer"...I want to be a guy that sells lawn chairs and stuff on a beach, and to work on the beach all day. "I want to be a beachcomber."

As you can imagine this was radical, hard on his thinking, and most likely something he would never do.

Thusly, I asked two questions:

1. Why can you not do what you want?

2. Why is this what you want?

Write me. What do you think he answered, what do you think he did, and what do you think the "point" to my questions were. Learning why and how will help you trade.

Why do you do things that you do not want to do?

As you trade, learn about you.

Now, to shift to what chartists see, and what the market "could do." I list below two commentaries. The first discusses "market lows," and the second defines who is helping Obama plan his Presidency. George Soros is one of Floyd's financial and philosophical idols and I'm pleased to see Obama enlist true thinkers that understand money and the world as he strategizes. The end of Cheney and Wolfowitz, and perhaps true world strategy thinking.

And to shift to yesterday. The market hit highs of 8517, and lows of 8065. All three of our trades, open and new, were profitable.

1. The Dec380P hit highs of 5.20

2. The Dec440C, a new buy, was available as low as 14.00, and hit 20.20.

3. The Dec480C, our open trade, hit highs of 7.00

We are three profitable trades for three with these issues, and have NO open positions to start the day.

No comments: